View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 08:31 AM   #1
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Blind support (category proposal)

Slightly over a year ago, there was some discussion about custom clients and their impact on blind players: (do a find search for "blind").

About six months ago on another discussion forum, I proposed the idea of a separate category for 'blind support'. I think TMS could also benefit from such a category, as it would help get positive attention from AudioGames.net and similar sites.

My initial thought was to have four options:

[ ] UNPLAYABLE: The mud requires a special client without screen reader functionality, or for some other reason cannot be played with a screen reader client.

[ ] LIMITED SUPPORT: There are difficulties for blind players, such as not being able to switch off colour, prompt, or ascii maps.

[ ] STANDARD SUPPORT: Most stock muds fall into this catagory, and it would also be the default.

[ ] ACTIVE SUPPORT: Includes additional features designed to aid blind players, such as alternative table displays and customisable aliases.

The above would also include a text box, for clarifying exactly what sort of support (or lack of support) is available.

If the above is considered too much for such a minority (only 277 of the 10765 characters in my mud use the 'screen reader' mode) then perhaps it could instead be a simple yes/no radio button in the features section (ideally with a text box as well, but even just the radio button on its own would be enough to justify advertising TMS on forums for blind gamers).

Last edited by KaVir : 10-14-2007 at 08:36 AM.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote