Thread: SF Game Concept
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2002, 05:49 AM   #5
Alexander Tau

Alexander Tau is on a distinguished road
Beyond getting people involved in the game in a technical sense, there is also the desire to immerse them in a very deeply complex reality. I am starting with normal earth history so that we have all that background to draw on, but then pushing all the players into very new environments cut off from their home planet, possibly forever.

So the different places are each intended to bring huge chunks of information to the player in a way they can comprehend, enjoy, and slowly begin to process. The Space Station is the most common human place, a whole lot of things that will be instandly familiar. In many ways a human dream of existance, without the immediate need to get a job you can wander at will for example.

A player will be able to reach alien areas, environoments and data on them will be available. And in some cases NPCs can provide some connections. But the station is for humans, and everyone knows that, it is psychologically the link to Earh and we will never really give that up.

The Galaxy Queen moves from the main Planet to the Station on a long slow cruise, and there is where the influence of the other alien cultures has much more influence. Trade, politics, galactic events, all these and more involve the Queen. Unlike the heavily enforced peace of the Station sometimes things can get rough in certain places. It is a really big ship and if nobody calls the authorities... well things happen. The Queen is the home to player groups and the directing control for many of the colonies that would be springing up.

The moon is sort of a tech testing ground, rather dangerous to live on but appealing to certain types of people. It would also be the likely point where a severly injured colonist would be transported into for recovery. I believe in PermaDeath but it can be guarded aginst with tech devices, just takes a lot of time to get back to the action when you do.

So I think by giving players these different places to pass through before they get to the actual colony planet will give me a way to impart a lot more information that is usual. When, after 2-3 weeks of time, they finally set foot onto the Planet it will not only be an accomplishment, it will be a moment to savor. Armed with knowledge of the universe around them, they can then proceed to carve whatever they wish out of this new frontier.

A.T
(-)
Alexander Tau is offline   Reply With Quote