View Single Post
Old 06-14-2004, 05:31 AM   #56
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Same reason as Traithe. I'd prefer to be able to identify players who have voted and not send them a vote reminder for that 12 hour period.

But the list would still measure exactly what it measures now: How much traffic your mud can send to the list. How is that any different from now or under the proposed clarification?
With a script, there are no eyeballs looking at the site, and thus it's not worth anything to the advertisers or to the listed muds (who, after all, are listed in order to get traffic to their muds). What I'd be looking for as a site operator would be to maximize my targetted traffic here (so voting links from a site on animal husbandry would be much less valuable than from muds). I'm not sure what this "fair" concern is. "Fair" is getting eyeballs on Topmudsites. That's what helps the site. That's what helps the muds listed on the site. Everyone has the option of asking players to vote. Everyone. You can choose to do it, or you can choose not to do it. Your players can choose to tolerate it, or they can choose not to tolerate it. One might even say if you assume being asked to vote is annoying (not an assumption I hold, but some do apparently), then a mud who asks people to vote and keeps lots of players is clearly doing something right and, in the skewed view that TMS is here to actually rank muds in some meaningful manner other than traffic sent here, is worthy of a high ranking.

Someone stated recently that they have a number of ex-Achaea players playing there. Why do you think that is? It's because we pump people at the site like crazy. Some of them find other muds they like better. Likewise, some people from other muds find they like our muds better. That's the whole point: get people here, and try to interest the people coming from other muds in your mud.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote