View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #17
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Uh... yes it is. In fact, the opposite of what you say is the case. There is very little responsible science that supports global warming. Furthermore, there is an enormous amount of scientific evidence that the sun is getting hotter. Any warming that we experience is far more likely to be the result of this fact about the sun.

The fact that I point that out does not mean I disagree with many of the other points. We should be using less gas/oil/fossil fuels. There's absolutely no excuse for our continued reliance upon it. I read a great article a few years ago and I keep it bookmarked:

Everything on the list is interesting, but for the purposes of this conversation:

I also remember vividly one night when I was watching the tv news show Hardball with Chris Matthews. He recounted a story I've heard him tell many times, how numerous automobile industry lobbyists have admitted (privately, and off the record) that if the government doubled the CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy ) standard tomorrow, every car manufacturer could easily comply. They just don't have the motivation to do so, and the oil lobby prevents the government from doing it.

That's just sad.

I'm about 50/50 on the issue of drilling in ANWR, but the only way I'd ever support it is if in the exact same bill, CAFE standards were at least doubled. I have read that the ANWR region is the most oil rich property the US owns. That's a great resource. But lets not use it until we are ready to use it efficiently.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote