Thread: Gay rights?
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2005, 12:09 AM   #108
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Interesting Lanthum, just one problem. Most of the founding fathers where deists, not Christians. Some where agnostic and at least on may have been pagan. As an example:

John Adams

From a letter to Charles Cushing (October 19, 1756):
“Twenty times in the course of my late reading, have I been upon the point of breaking out, ‘this would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it.’”

So, why would it be assumed that they wouldn't want a seperation? How precisely do you avoid establishing a state religion and still impose its morals and thus all its baggage and justifications for them on society? Well, I can think of one simple way actually. Be a deist that believes in 'a' god, but completely rejects organized religion, and thus the Biblical claims to be grounds for morals in the first place. But that is hardly what the modern, "atheists and secularists are out to destroy the country", nuts would accept. Too bad, since all those horrible people out to destroy them just want them to keep their delusions in their own back yard, not force it into every crevice of society, then claim, "But if you don't believe you can just leave the room until we are done. We promise not to discuss anything, make decisions or act against you while you are out".

I am also offended by your implication that moral ideals 'require' religion to give rise to them. I have a high standard of morals, which I learned without 'anyone' indoctrinating me into all the BS excuses and irrational gibberish religious people 'claim' those standards come from. Especially given how that same stuff can be used to justify actions that are anything but moral (and are). If strong faith has been shown to give rise to anything, its false morals and excuses for why certain people at certain times in certain circumstances do not deserve the same rights as others. Those of strong faith in this time believe that no one lacking it, or those lcking the 'right' faith are not deserving of the right to avoid having fiction taught to them in schools, religious dogma posted at their government facilities or Christian prayers given as various ceremonies. Of course they will all give excuses, 'teaching the contraversy', 'its part of the beliefs of our foundng fathers, so its OK to post it' or 'we would have had other types of prayers, but we just didn't have time to collect a bunch of people from other religions to give them'. But in the end, its a belief that 'their' belief is greater than everyone else's and that theirfor they don't 'deserve' respect.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote