View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #41
locke
Banned

Home MUD: nimud.divineright.org 5333
locke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Revolutionary New OLC and Scripting

The only issues here seem to be the ones you keep bringing up, even though the horse is dead, do you have to continue to beat it?

We've already established -- including my admittance that they are probably not related in the source code aside from the MS-DOS Batch file language variable syntax (which may have earlier roots), that is DG and NiMScripts -- any continued nitpicking is to appease your ego and has no real point in this discussion.

CthulhuMUD IS the direct predecessor to NiMUD. It's the same source code. NiMUD grew out of the demise of the original CthulhuMUD in 1993. CthulhuMUD-related source code (NiMUD) was released to people in December 1993 and written in September / October 1993. The Isles, NiMUD and what was left from CthulhuMUD's short 2 month lifespan are all the same project and all authored or co-authored by me. It's the same thing repackaged or private labeled, derived or evolved, however you want to put that. You're trying to convince me that these are somehow different. Aside from their name, they are not different -- merely evolutions of the same base of code over time. CthulhuMUD became NiMUD (the public package) and The Isles (the name of my mud that runs NiMUD software). It is NOT cthulhumud.org -- the CthulhuMUD that runs today.

Along with OLC, the HIT_FUN() feature was added for CthulhuMUD. At the same time we added "hit_suck_disarm" (for the Lovecraftian Flying Polyp attack) and "hit_vorpal" (for the vorpal sword), which has become a popular, signature feature of NiMUD.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. We are not trying to prove that. I have not said that. Someone posted that on Wikipedia and it failed the litmus test and thus was removed, apparently by Fizban. In fact, I established that three messages ago and you're continuing to argue it as if we are arguing the counterpoint, which no one is. You have some serious control issues. You should re-evaluate your posture toward these discussions because they are probably unhealthy for you.

I don't know if that WoC assertion is true or not, but it's irrelevant since this is not the discussion here at all. It's completely OT. We're talking about what was just released, not the lineage of NiMScripts. MOBProgs was just a list of mud commands, not a true scripting language, but it did offer some rudimentary functionality, except unlike on a MUSH it was only for "mobiles" (actors). Anyway, Diku is not conducive to an easily accomplished scripting language because of its fundamental mob/obj/room dilineation, which freed up MUSH developers to incorperate online scripting early on as a fundamental part of MUSH. So, this arduous task is complete here.

Keep in mind there is still the Diku][ scripting language (is that DG? I don't think it is..) which is pretty good too, but many of the features present in NiMUD aren't present anywhere else and NIMScripts is far beyond the competition. I'm sure a better (or maybe a rehashed or even stolen version, preferably not -- preferably one with attribution as the license suggests, and of course non-commercial) of NIMScripts or DG or any language will be in the future of MUD software. I personally wouldn't write such a thing today if I undertook a new project.

NIMScripts is the first to offer a suite of online developer tools for MUD scripts that are truly enriched with a real-time debugger, building relationships and a core function list that is extensive. The whole package is mature, so I feel confident it will be well received by someone.

Last edited by locke : 03-18-2009 at 04:05 PM.
locke is offline   Reply With Quote