View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 06:44 PM   #9
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
How does people being wealthy or not have anything to do with it?

Assuming someone has no family or friends outside the affected area, it still is not a tough choice whether or not to evacuate. Lets see:

1) Stay and either die or have to live in some shelter or hole in the ground when my house gets obliterated.

2) Leave and maybe have to live in a shelter, car, or something else.

Not a tough decision. The end result of both is similar, with #1 having a chance that you're dead. I wish all of life's decisions were that easy.

With few exceptions (emergency workers, random elderly with no family to help them escape, metally ill homeless who have no idea what is going on, etc.) dying to a hurricane in this day and age is just Darwin Award material.

It is easy to get sensational and focus only on the few people who truly were in such a horrible condition they had no options (see my list of exceptions above), but a lot of people who chose not to leave and died were just really stubborn, stupid, lazy people who didn't have enough sense to leave when they were told to evacuate.

As for the looters: with the exception of looting food, water, and other essentials, there is no excuse.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote