View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road
Re: Crafting: How does it work at your favorite game?

The biggest challenge to crafting is the concept of uniqueness and how to cheat to get there We are currently working to deepen our crafting system so this has been a helpful read -- thanks to all participants.

It's the first time I've heard of the 'battle with an item' idea. It sounds like a neat way to throw in some randomness and make sure the whole process takes time. It's a clever move all in all but it sounds complicated and difficult to pull off well. Unless it is the main highlight of a MUD, I don't think it would be worth trying it on for us.

We are building up on a pretty conventional crafting system, a set of skills that turn PK arena trophies into a limited set of wearable items. The goal is both to increase the pool of raw materials and products, and to make sure that there's something unique about each product (therein lies the rub).

I have to say that as an English teacher I shudder to think of opening item strings to players. A great balance seems to be user submissions passing a screening process. We're already doing that for quest ideas and I think we can carry it over for crafting.

Letting players control the power of the product is, I think, pointless unless the penalty for failure offsets the rewards for success. Even if there is reciprocal punishment and successes are few, game balance will eventually slip away from control, I think.
plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote