View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #17
realmsofvalor

realmsofvalor is on a distinguished road
Re: Crafting: How does it work at your favorite game?

I really like the idea of coconut-thread and weaving - sounds complex but with so many variables it ought to keep crafting fun! I am also curious if your skills had some sort of leveling system & how your mechanics addressed a neophyte crafter compared to a veteran one.

Crafting skills are almost non-existant in Arantha; so much other work has been done, but crafts have never been written. Currently I am working on gem appraisal/cutting, which is our first real 'craft' skills. Though I've some ideas written for a dynamic weapon smithing system, I'm at a loss with how to deal with fabric-crafting. I love the idea of taking raw goods & dyes and working them all together. I also think the multiple-layering of dyes to come up with a particular custom hue is also neat. Imagine some player who's found a method of specific dyes to create a cool color like a brambleberry-dyed cloak, and makes and sells custom-colored clothing to select clientele.

Magic-type items are rare in our campaign and expensive colored clothing is available for purchase. I'm trying to figure out some lures for players to craft in the first place, hopefully a bit beyond 'it's got pretty colors' and 'more resistance to damage' than ordinary clothes. I love playing dress-up as much as the next player, but endless crafting has never been my cup of tea. Also still trying to figure out how to factor in the skill level (our skills have about ten 'tiers' that are increased through exercise and I'm not sure if limiting the player by saying 'you can't mix that proper dye until your skill is level xxxxx'. Suggestions are most welcome!
realmsofvalor is offline   Reply With Quote