View Single Post
Old 05-12-2005, 07:49 PM   #13
GuruPlayer

GuruPlayer is on a distinguished road
You have to shop around...each mud has it's own personality & RP level. Now I prefer to roleplay, over H/S, but I don't have the time in R/L to play on some of the RP required muds. For example, I had a goblin in Shadows of Isildur, which is a RP required mud - no global channels, no OOC, permadeath, etc. Now the RP is excellent, but I don't have the free time necessary to get involved with that world in order to succeed. However when you try to RP in a H&S, you takes your chances that you will find other players willing to RP. I remember turning off some player who kept talking "in character" about movies. My character, an orc barbarian, tried to give her a hint by asking " Whut be moovie?? Kin ya eat it? Where its lair?" She finally gave up & moved on. Sometimes you just have to turn on "deaf" or "quiet" & only speak in character, & hope the other players will play along. As far as Imms, or newbie helpers beaming in to help/assist when you first start playing, you have to take it with a grain of salt...Look at it from their point of view...they don't know if you're a veteran mudder or if you haven't a clue, so they try to find out. I just say advise them while I'm new, I prefer to find out about their mud myself instead of being lead around, & they will generally leave you alone. I find also that writing a description is not usually required on H&S muds, but is a good signal to the other players that you are RP oriented when you have one. I find I can tell within the first hour or so how serious the RP is, just by listening to the different channels, then I toggle quiet, & play on. One beef I always had is the "tell" command. For example, on Carrion Fields, you gain more experience in groups so you will get a "tell" from another player of the same race but who is on the otherside of the world, asking to meet up with you to group. Now since when is instant communication possible across the world without a cell phone?? So I toggle deaf, & the problem goes away.
GuruPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote