View Single Post
Old 05-11-2005, 10:41 AM   #2
Spoke

Spoke is on a distinguished road
I am not part of the specific group to which you ask the question, nevertheless, I play Aardwolf, which heavily tends towards leveling, getting better equipment in order to be able to compete against other characters in many different fields offered by the mud. Now, the "RP-role" I have seen in game is to set guidelines for existing or new clans, for the people requesting a new clan have to submit a story, background, role of the clan in the mud, etc. Some clans also require RP-like stories in order to join their ranks.

Now that you know more or less what the environment is, I must say that people who really enjoy role-playing (and I have only met a handful in many years of playing) are usually looked at like they were a bit weird. The reasons must be obvious, since a roleplayer would not be killing the "sparrow" hundreds of times without a good reason for doing it. This, and certain game requirements (as minimun quests to remort, etc) make it very hard if not impossible for a pure role-player to play fully RP-immersed. Now the brigth side, I think, is that middle-point roleplay is somehow abundant, being a large community, each person really assumes a role for their characters, the character develops a "personality" and there are things that characterize that character. I say this knowing fully that I cannot compare to RP like the one you would need in Arm or many other MUDs, but the fact is that if I am a Pirate Captain, I act like that somehow when I interact with others, I am bloodthirsty, therefore PKeager, etc etc. Others, like the Bards, hold public performances every now and then, are pacifists so they do not join PvP fights, etc. So, within limits, RP is present.

The short version is, a pure RPer would be looked at as a weird thing, mainly because if the environment is not set for RPing, and the norm is not "being-a-RPer" many will not understand the motif for someone to go through all the "annoyance" of "developing" their "character".

Spoke, the Evil Pirate
Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote