View Single Post
Old 04-26-2002, 03:36 PM   #2
Teelf

Teelf is on a distinguished road
Well, first off you have misidentified the target of the ads.  The military is targeting college drop-outs not college grads.  When someone has a degree, they would join the military as an officer.  They military has less openings for officers than they do applicants.  Why is the military after college drop-outs?  Because the enlisted jobs that need to be filled require increasingly higher skills and training.  

Second, you also seem to be saying that a college graduate would not make a good soldier.  Or at least that really smart people would not make a good soldiers?  I mean no offense by this, but how can you know what makes a good "soldier" without having been in the military?

Now you are saying a soldier can't have any care for money?  Only a sacrificial love of his or her country?  Give me a break.  Soldiers are people, too.  You make a lot of sacrfices when you join the military.  Try being away from your wife for 6 months.  Try missing the birth of your children.  A measly $10,000 scholarship is the least they can do.  Personally, I'm using my GI Bill right now and feeling like I earned every penny.

As for the ads being misleading, they are just showing the best side of themselves like any other advertisement would.  People aren't going to join the Navy from ads of people swabbing the deck.  

- Teelf
Former Data Systems Technician in the U.S. Navy 1996-2002
Teelf is offline   Reply With Quote