View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #149
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Re: In defense of all MUDs. Our genre's noteworthiness is being questioned.

Obviously my company is a big supporter of both TMS and by far the biggest supporter of TMC, but I agree with Wikipedia's decision here to be honest. I don't see either TMS or TMC as establishing notability.

That's kind of funny but I find it hard to care much. The thing IRE is most notable for in the wider games world (pioneering virtual goods sales and inventing the dual currency model) might be hard to prove as I don't think there are any sources that would be considered reliable by Wikipedia that "prove" it did those things.

You're right btw, Wikipedia sends virtually no traffic our way.

That's a little strange, although on the one hand it's "just" a set of MUD listings, an unauthoritative ranking system, and a set of forums. On the other hand, it's one of the two major text MUD sites, but it doesn't get much traffic. In the grand scheme of things, maybe it's not very notable. I think it's easy for us (like everyone) to get caught up in what we're doing and assume it's of world-shaking importance to everyone else. I forget who it was earlier in the thread, but the comparison to people who are really into knitting or <pick your niche> probably have similarly strong views about everything in their communities too, but a lot of people might kind of laugh at the idea that a knitting mailing list should be included on Wikipedia as being notable, for instance.

Anyway, just pointing out that it's easy for people in general to overestimate our own importance in the scheme of things since we are all the center of our own little universes.

Well, everything's days are numbered in one sense, but I think that you're taking what is a VERY minor issue (seriously, whether a text MUD is included or not may be offensive to us but I don't think it matters very much to Wikipedia as a whole). Wikipedia looks to become more used by human beings, not less though. Quantcast and Compete both show an upwards trajectory. Alexa's is harder to read (and in my opinion Alexa is less reliable than Quantcast or Compete, though still has some use), it shows Wikipedia's traffic as being slightly higher than it was a year ago.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote