View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 03:01 AM   #200
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: In defense of all MUDs. Our genre's noteworthiness is being questioned.

I mean that the efforts of the community are best spent giving themselves a more respectable, professional approach to the field than spent complaining about Wikipedia. There was some merit to Wikipedia's objections, regardless of how they went about it, and the MU* community has been terribly delinquent in holding itself to any standards. I can't speak for everyone besides myself but I have been appalled at just how little the community attempts to demonstrate responsibility. True, many MU*s are operating as hobbies but that's no excuse. Hobbyists of all types around the world find ways to hold themselves and their participants to some semblance of responsible, critical standards. That has not happened in the MU* community for whatever reason be it immaturity, self-interest, insecurity, irresponsibility or anything else. Sure, some games are run as hobbies and some as commercial ventures. That doesn't relinquish the community of any responsibility in regard to honesty, appreciation for quality, and peer-recognition to say nothing of critical review and accountability. There have been a few measures taken in this regard but even those have been half-hearted. That's just not acceptable and the lack of outrage from the community over such failure needs to stop. We need to hold ourselves and one another to a higher standard across the board.

I'll be posting some suggestions in the upcoming days on ways to recast the community not only in a more responsible but also a more dignified light (want to run more of them by the RPMUD Operating Committee to determine the degree of assistance we can provide as a group so I can append the degree of involvement that more than just I can contribute to this effort).

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote