View Single Post
Old 10-19-2003, 04:29 PM   #29
Iluvatar

Iluvatar is on a distinguished road
I really hate coming into good conversations late but oh well, I sort of feel obligated since it's this forum.

Esterra

Sparingly is too simplistic here.  We can't predict how they'll feel unless they've chosen the activity.  A good example is fear, how do you "force" a feeling of fear on anyone using text.  Few react in expected ways so it's best to stay away from "forced" feelings unless as a direct result of their actions.
Most of your recommendations are seriously valid and I applaud them for what it's worth.

Molly

Unfortunately that's a double edged sword.  It's wonderful to supremely enhance olc options but it also makes teaching a newbie extremely difficult and time intensive for seniors.  I personally prefer the olc as intricate as possible but I have to point out the shortcoming.

Molly

Oh sooOOoo true!  Even if you have a chain of command so to speak, working with someone to make new things possible is expected of a builder.  Builders work the interactive aspects, coders make it possible and a meeting of the minds is the only way to enable this.  I would suggest also that this process include multiple functions for the same code.  An example would be something like <stay_terrain> which forces a mob keep to specific types of terrain which really decreases the ability to find a fish swimming about in a city terrain but also eliminates <stay_zone> and the necessity for <!mob> blocks.

Hephos

Pardon, but that IS a real system.  The level of complexity of context is how you discern a 'good' construct as opposed to a 'passable' one.  The more you can put into it, the more your players actually 'feel' it exists and can get into the roleplay.

the_logos

While I do agree the "intelligent and sharp" turn on <brief> when going over often trod landscape, it's exactly those types we cater to when we write descriptions.  The more intensely designed the area, the more often they actually read everything.  You seem to be making a presumption that connecting areas are immaterial and that's dangerous and unrewarding in a well built world from a player perspective.

Hephos

Exactly, so you answered the age old debate of should duplicate rooms exist or automagically code created rooms exist.  I know it's tedious, I know it's unrealistic, but I also know of you really want people to READ, you gotta do it.  A plethora of inane dupes breeds briefers and that voids the whole purpose of having competent builders.  I recognize the disclaimer you posted afterwards showing the difference between *filler* vs *activity_zones*  but my statement still applies.

*pant* sorry I'm so long winded guys, but this overall topic is important to me and I was dumb enough to jump in late.

Molly

Isn't the issue more the idea itself?  I mean regardless of what codebase you use, the idea of something like timed teleport battle mobs replaced by duplicates or composite mobs with invisible body parts that battle are just good ideas.  It's up to each individual's coder ability to enable the concepts as they envision it, but the ideas are sound and why this forum exists.

Well, too much posting in one response for the likes of my ancient buns.  Perhaps I've learned my lesson and will check this place daily, but only time will tell.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote