View Single Post
Old 10-22-2003, 08:26 PM   #37
Kylotan

Home MUD: Abattoir (Smaug)
Home MUD: ex-Jellybean (Smaug)
Home MUD: ex-Dark Chambers (Merc)
Kylotan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Kylotan Send a message via AIM to Kylotan Send a message via MSN to Kylotan Send a message via Yahoo to Kylotan
Nah, it's not having duplicate descs that breeds 'briefers', it's having a lot of rooms with no important or pertinent information. It doesn't matter how good a writer you may be; if I'm just trying to travel through a forest, I am not going to stop to check the shimmering morning dew upon the leaves every time I pass through. When travelling or hunting for opponents, all the extra descriptive text becomes background noise and the player often chooses to get rid of it, looking for the signal, which is usually the room name and the exit list, plus any objects or creatures in the room. For this reason, standard Dikus should probably stick to very short descriptions except in important rooms, so that players know when they're seeing something significant. In more advanced muds, you might have a level of detail system that reveals more information about a room the longer you stand there.
Kylotan is offline   Reply With Quote