View Single Post
Old 10-18-2003, 01:19 PM   #27
Estarra

Home MUD: Lusternia
Estarra is on a distinguished road
One of my favorite mazes that I created was a mysterious town that would trap unwary players. What I did was create two identical towns. One town was a ghost town, apparently devoid of life. The other was brimming with life (mobs) who mysteriously had never heard of the wider world around them.

Players enter the "ghost" town and upon entering any of the buildings would actually be entering the "trapped" town (through one way exits). Of course players had no way of knowing they were entering a different area since they looked identical. However, they soon realize that the town is suddenly filled with citizens. However, all roads that lead out of the "trapped" town lead back in. The trick is finding the one exit in the "trapped" town that leads back to the "ghost" town, and staying on the roads to exit out (as entering a building would put them back into the "trapped" town).

This is a rather insidious maze and most players will never figure it out. (Thinking about it, I'm not sure if it even qualifies as a "maze" but it's a neat builders trick anyway.) I've found that those who do figure it out guard the secret proprietarily (probably because of all the hours of trial and error it takes to crack the puzzle). Also, I should point out that since it is so difficult, it should be put in a place where newbies can't get to and the players who do have the connections to call for help from other players to get summoned out. Even so, some will still wander in then call on the gods for help to get out of this "impossible" place. Muhahahaha!
Estarra is offline   Reply With Quote