View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 02:52 AM   #7
Parhelion

Name: Sarah
Home MUD: Ethos
Parhelion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Parhelion
Re: Looking for Suggestions

I understand that you are not interested in working on another MUD; HOWEVER, I feel compelled to ask you to reconsider.

Have you ever worked as a core staff member (not a builder, or someone who still plays their characters half as much as they work) on an ACTIVE, open MUD? Have you ever run a game or project where you have had to deal with hordes of complete strangers, most of them quite dickish (let's be frank, most of the remaining MUD enthusiasts hanging around all have their own little attitude)?

If you have not -- I highly recommend that you find an open MUD that will accept you onto their team and work your way up to a leadership position BEFORE starting on your own project. There is a HUGE difference between building a game and administrating it; contrary to belief, you can't just point at people and get them to handle all the headaches for you. It seems rare to get a good staff together, and you're not going to be able to depend too much on volunteers for a project that is just starting out. People get bored and moved on.

In my opinion, most of the people operating MUDs on our community are not skilled enough to be administrators, or don't have the emotional maturity to carry it through -- even if they DO have the technical skills. I'm not saying these things to insult you or ward you off, because I don't know a thing about you; you may have what so many others lack, but I just recommend getting a feel for what you're facing before you put in a lot of work.

--

By not having a 'TELNET' mud, do you mean that your MUD will have a custom client, or that it will be graphical in nature? This is more of a curiosity than anything else.
Parhelion is offline   Reply With Quote