View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #30
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Finding a Place to Call Home: Communities Tolerant & Accepting of Gay Gamers

I've never been that attached to the OOC game involved in muds. I log in, I play the game, I'm not looking for real life friends or contacts, I'm not looking for a community that likes and accepts me, and I log out and go back to my real life. All the same, I have pretty low expectations of humanity in general.

When someone says,"Online multiplayer game," here's the sample MMO converation snippet I'm imagining:

B1gK0K: i raped u good ur such a fag

D1k101: hahalol only cuz ur so cheep quit using gay tricks n00b

Flowerking: Excuse me, but I'm gay and it's really offensive to use homophobic slurs like that. Please stop or I'm going to report you to the administration.

B1gK0k: haha stfu queer!

D1k101: omglol! r u srsly gay?!?! FAAAAAAGG!!!

Princezz914: hey stop! its not c00l to be rasist ppl are born gay!!!

B1gk0k: i fukked ur mom! want to cyber Princezz?

D1k101: lolololol!!!!

Flowerking: That's it! I'm never playing this game again!

B1gk0k: by fag!!!

Admittedly, that conversation would drive me away from a game, too, but my departure would have nothing to do with homosexuals feeling unwelcome.

Anyway, when someone says, "internet game," that's what I picture as the common user group. That's all over the internet, and if that's making grown gay men cry because they can't fit in with that select group of internet users, they should aim a little higher.

I'd parse this whole thing as: Threshold, a place for grown ups where you won't see idiocy like that. Rather than Threshold: Where homosexuals are accepted.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote