View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 03:45 AM   #5
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Well, your first mistake was letting anything that happened at such an "upstanding" place as Medievia allow you to measure either your abilities or the nature of MUDding in general. Comparing anything that occured at Medievia is like judging everyone based on the actions of a serial killer.

When it comes to building, my own experience is mixed. I did some work (though never got it implemented as the game shut down first) for an H&S project many years ago. Then I admin'd on an RPI, where I really got to learn how to build. Now, I'm working on my own MUD. What did I learn? That I want quality, that I want to produce quality, that I want to seek quality out, and that I want to inspire others to produce quality. I also learned that not everyone holds to those four things. That alas is part of life.

My only advice to you is to seek out quality that measures to your own standards. Until you find it, unless you decide to start it from scratch yourself, you probably won't be able to comfortably fit in anywhere because if there isn't a shared appreciation for the same level of quality, it's not easy. I realize that given the vast number of total pieces of crap out there, finding quality isn't an easy proposition. Most of what MUDs advertise if bull**** to say the least. And weeding through their bull to find the facts of their quality is annoying and frustrating. But in the end, when you do find quality you can relate to, you'll find the experience all the more fulfilling because the struggle will be worth it.

Yeah, probably nothing you didn't already know. But at least remember that some of us have have been through the same trials. Whether we eventually found our niche or decided to create it ourselves, we have been where you're at.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote