View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 05:41 AM   #5
Orrin

Name: Matt
Orrin is on a distinguished road
Re: Player Killing and Player Looting

I think it's perfectly possible and reasonable to have player killing without player looting. We are not planning on having looting after death in our game, however it will still be possible to take the odd item through theft or other means if that is your thing.

If as you say players enjoy looting because of the 'trophy' aspect, why not try replacing loot with some other visible token of victory? Maybe allow players to scalp one other, pull out teeth or cut off ears to keep as trophies to mark their victories. Introducing a public PK ranking system or ladder may also have the same effect.

Unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do about the 'griefer' who enjoys looting because of how it upsets his victims. If you stop them looting they will only find other ways to express themselves. How you deal with these types of players is a whole other thread!

Looking at the major muds, Iron Realms are well known for PK but AFAIK none of their games have any kind of corpse looting. I think the notion of corpse looting is very much a DIKU thing so you might want to have a look at how non DIKU muds handle it.
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote