View Single Post
Old 12-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #66
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Reaching out beyond text MUDs

You can't be serious with this statement. Please tell me a Gui Mud with voice activation where people are talking in elfish languages or roleplaying over the voice channel. I'd really love to sit in on that.

Perhaps on WoW. I assure you that on NW we have had groups of 5, 10, and 15 regularly and armies of 20 to 40 numerous times for massive adventures, story driven events, and raids. It is chaotic and wild and the players on NW call it "the choas of battle"

This is a good point and perhaps I was a bit hasty on that. I'm likely slightly jaded in that I have looked for RP on such environments and found little to none. I was invited to be a lead programmer on a new Gui Mud built entirely on programming. I declined and after 2 1/2 years and $250,000.00, the project closed when the financers couldn't build the playerbase. Effectively none of the teenage players wanted Forced RP.

Yes and have never seen these types of games played there. The only games I've seen at libraries and schools are Java script driven run from Internet Explorer. Perhaps these types you are referring to?

Name them. Show me the Gui Mud that is playable without an install. I'll be happy to check it out. Again, I maintain that the only ones playable from these locations are Internet Explorer (java) style games.

The reason for this is that powerful GUI games need localized graphics/sound/movie clips, to run. Thousands of Megabytes of data that you can't run effectively through a net stream. While Gui and Text Muds are very similar in O/S operation and data streaming, without the graphics localized you have to stream them to the client. This is a huge bottleneck and would mean that every graphic image or sound you see would have to stream to your client (in this case internet exployer).
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote