View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
silvarilon

silvarilon is on a distinguished road
Re: --Another Brain Picking Session--What Turns People On To RP?

For me, it's the freedom.

It doesn't always happen like this - but if all goes right, I get a game tailored to my specific character. I don't mean that staff jump when I snap my fingers, what I mean is...

... imagine playing guild wars, or something - and you decide to play a pacifist. Someone who won't pick up their sword except to defend themselves, and will always try diplomacy first. It just doesn't work - the mobs will attack you regardless, and you don't have any options other than to fight until the death, then move on to the next fight.

In a social mud, this is a very viable option. Since you are often dealing with other human players, you'll get a different reaction to your character who tries diplomacy first than you would to your warrior that charges in, or your stubborn diplomat who refuses to compromise, or your baker who stays out of politics, or you...

So many character options, and they don't come from a list that the game provides - they come from the player. More options for me, means I'll have more fun actually building a *character* - with a distinct personality - rather than just building an avatar.

And more options for the other players means I'll be more likely to run into other characters. Not just run into a level 15 fighter, but run into a noble's son, who's been cast out of his land after it was plundered, who is now seeking retribution. Or other equally unexpected characters.

Sure, not every character works for every mud. I wouldn't expect (or want) to find a lazer-wielding octopus in a medieval fantasy setting. And depending on the mud, not all professions would be viable (if there are no diplomatic goals, playing a diplomat would be hard...) - but nonetheless, within the game setting, choices are much more open than in other types of games.

It's not just the choices, but also the consequences. I like the concept that every single action my character takes could, conceivably, lead the story in a different direction. In WoW I can run around in circles all day long, without that having any impact on my character or the gameworld. In a RP mud, if I did that, I'd probably get reactions. Other characters might ask me what I'm doing. Or they might follow me, start copying me. Or have me arrested for insanity. Or they might do something that I can't predict - which would be awesome. And if I do something more meaningful than just run around in circles, all the more chance that there will be reactions from the other characters. Which is totally awesome
silvarilon is offline   Reply With Quote