Thread: $20 (USD)/Zone
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2003, 08:45 PM   #52
Hardestadt

Hardestadt is on a distinguished road
Is securing the future of your mud against the possibility that a builder goes nuts and decides to pull all their work from it, using copyright as leverage 'preying' on the work of others?

Is this 'preying', if he's preventing a situation where large portions of his world could disappear due to a disagreement between staff?

You say that builders get a lousy deal in all muds, which they do. The reason for this is skill based.

Good building requires good english skills and imagination. Roughly 30% of all mud players have this at the level of which I'd hire them, if it were up to me.

Good coding requires good coding knowledge, english skills, imagination, and experience. Good coding knowledge is something which is worth a lot of money in the real world, especially combined with experience.

Builders do provide a vital contribution to muds, but unless the mud involved is just another crappy stock dikurivative a coders work is more important as it underlies what a builder does.

I won't provide an analogy for this, as it'll probably be ultimately flawed and used as a counter argument for the rest of this thread. To not recognise that coding labor requires higher skill than building IMO, is really quite stupid.
Hardestadt is offline   Reply With Quote