Thread: Guild Leveling?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2002, 12:24 AM   #7
Falconer

Falconer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Falconer
I'm going to assume from some details in your post that your MUD is either not focused on roleplaying or only makes minor prods toward it. If I'm wrong, I apologize in advance.

Seeing as how players want areas that are specifically designed for themselves and their group to level in, you need to look at the reasons for their request. Here's what I came up with:

1) They want a safe haven from player killers of other guilds.
2) They want an endless supply of mobs for them to hack at without fear of someone else that isn't friendly clearing the area first.
3) They want isolation.

I don't think that any of the three listed encourage what every MUD emphasizes in some way: interaction.

Say you do see some positive benefits to the idea, or the whining just gets to be too much to take, why not have the players in the guild do some work for their special area? Have them create the layout, design the rooms and write the descriptions and then send it in for approval. If it's approved, it gets put in with one or another staff builders creating the objects and mobiles that will appear within. If it isn't, they'll need to try again and resubmit.

Giving players a challenge will do one of two things: they'll surprise you or they'll come to their senses.

Either way, you win.

Best!
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote