View Single Post
Old 10-19-2002, 01:21 PM   #6
Brianna

Brianna is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Brianna Send a message via MSN to Brianna Send a message via Yahoo to Brianna
I think by letting people know up front what you expect, even down to the littlest detail, helps weed out those that want to "powertrip" as an immortal.  On the two games I am head builder on, all building takes place live but staffers are given guidelines on what is expected before they are hired and I ask if these rules are acceptable to them and if they are willing to follow them. The development shells on both these games are primarily used by the coders to test new code they are working to prevent disruption on the main port.  

As far as keeping the staff happy, its a tricky balance of blending a variety of personalities.  There are those that are always on and working and others that work and kid around and some "slackers" who require a good kick in the tail at times to keep them going.  Getting to know the staff helps with this blending.  I have seen players brought on staff and never complete their zones or feel they have to have the most powerful eq in the game in their zone. I have seen staff members play favorites with their friends and lose what they claim they had wanted by abusing the privileges granted them.

One thing I stress is that becoming a staff member (immortal) is a privilege and carries with it responsibility (just like getting a drivers license). If a person does not feel they can live up to those responsibilities and says as much to begin with a lot less trouble arises. I realize that people have lives outside of cyberspace but when you make a commitment and expect to have respect, I expect them to treat the rest of the staff with the same respect they want in return. There will always be some that will slip through but no one is by any means perfect, myself included. Essentially when hiring staff from outside the mud (which is the case with most developmental stage muds) Its difficult at best but laying out what is expected usually works for the most part.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote