View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 07:40 PM   #54
Bakha

Bakha is on a distinguished road
Re: Determining the Origin and Meaning of RPI

You're missing the point. Person A may not speak the language that Person B speaks. If Person A emotes out their pose with a say included, then Person B suddenly speaks their language. It negates the whole purpose of a language code.

And just in case you think this is all "simulationist" nonsense, imagine the possibilities here of the proposed scenario:

The disputed animal is an ox. A human and an elf are the two characters in question. The human stumbles upon the elf about to kill the ox and says something, in a language the elf doesn't understand, while emoting a rapid gesture. The human was actually saying, "I'll be off." The elf saw, "M'iI ow kee" with a rapid gesture. The elf decides that the human is trying to kill him and glances up saying (in the human's eyes), 'With an angry slam of fist into palm, the lean elf says, "Mi Lie ite ielos liesoit.'" The human now decides that the elf is trying to start a fight and he becomes more and more aggressive. Woah! Suddenly we have something very real, possible, and deep: racial and cultural misunderstandings playing out before our eyes. Something very... narrativist in my opinion.

Much better than the human doing:

emote with a rapid gesture, the swarthy human says, "I'll be off!"
And suddenly all the language and racial barriers are instantly cured via the emote code.

Edit: Firstly, this post was made under the influence of Cinco de Mayo margaritas. Secondly, I looked back and saw that you acknowledged the language barrier issue in your post. I guess that on the muds I play, this is much, much larger of an issue and much more important than on the muds you play. As it's not something to just dismiss flippantly as no big deal. Once again, it just shows the wide range of roleplaying experiences we all seek.

Last edited by Bakha : 05-05-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Bakha is offline   Reply With Quote