View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #29
iKallisti

iKallisti is on a distinguished road
Re: What turns people from RP?

I play on a roleplaying enforced game 99% of the time, but every so often I get the urge to go find some of the more hack n' slash titles out there. When I do this I don't want to have to bother with any sort of RP because I'm already putting enough thought and effort into my character on the game that I usually play. That may sound lazy I suppose but when I do that I'm putting less time into the character and putting a LOT more time into optimizing that character so that I can get a feel for the game in however brief a time I play. I find that doing this is great for relieving some of the stress I attract by playing a "not very nice" character on my home MUD. I also find that it makes me better a better player by reminding me how to look at different systems and find secret.

More on topic though I think that in a lot of cases people get driven away from RP games by the seemingly impenetrable wall of rules if you're not familiar with the game. On the game that I play we give out a couple of help files when a new player starts, once they get out of creation they're presented with a few more and information on how to access the whole list of them, we go on from their by trying to get them involved with RP in the game so they can learn as they go but I think some people get overwhelmed by the rules and the feeling of trying to learn the "culture" of the game. This I would think is even more of a problem with games that have a lot of their world lore and information available on the website. For example, as much as I've always wanted to try my hand at Armageddon I've never been able to get past the very beginnings of making my character because I get overwhelmed trying to read the history of the region, and of the race, and everything else.
iKallisti is offline   Reply With Quote