View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 03:39 AM   #47
Nymeria

Nymeria is on a distinguished road
Re: What are the differences between a MUD and a MUSH?

Ide,

I absolutely agree. There are certain kinds of MUSHes that, especially when they grow a bit larger, can benefit from certain coded tools. These tools can serve as auto-judges or handle other issues that would take a lot of manual administration. Certainly, if you want some kind of conflict, it does not hurt to have a coded way of resolving it when staff doesn't have time to judge every scene or when the players don't feel comfortable working it out between themselves.

That's why we have coded systems for our tourneys, and a coded system for targetting positive and negative rumors at other players, and that's why we're going to try to add a fuller combat system for the rebellion in Dorne.

But that the same time, I played on Tales of Ta'veren when it first opened (and pretty much exploded with players, thanks to the popularity of WoT at the time), and there were no coded systems at all. It worked pretty well for a while, though in the end the admin decided that they wanted to add a CharGen at least. The plan was probably to also add some systems depending on the CG setup later on, but it never happened before the game shut down.

My issue with Delerak's argument has been that it comes across as saying that there cannot be good roleplay without coded support, and that the coded support has to be for every action you can take. It all depends on the structure of the game as well as what the admin and the players work best with.
Nymeria is offline   Reply With Quote