View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #42
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: What types of games are impacted the most by permadeath?

1. 6-page explanations of a point, doesn't make it any more, or less, valid. It just makes it long. I skimmed.

2. Part of what I actually bothered to read, said something about if we were up for the same job as diplomat and I got the job, and you killed me, and all my efforts were wasted...well um...political roles = people with enemies. If I was stupid enough to NOT set up my own personal cadre of spies, assassins, thieves, and guards, then whoever hired me was even more stupid than I was. And, kudos to you for getting rid of my character's incompetent self, and, why didn't anyone stop me before I got that far in the first place?

3. Another phrase I actually managed to read was something about how Harriet the Spy wouldn't benefit from permadeath. Here's the scene:

I'm a spy. You catch me. I call my pal the assassin to kill you. But wait..you rezz, because this isn't a permadeath game. So you're alive 20 minutes later, 4000 exp points, 56800 silver pieces, and one pair of gold-laminated bracers shorter, but alive. And tell everyone about my pal who killed you, and now a posse goes after the assassin. But wait! This isn't a permadeath game! So the assassin gets killed - and rezzed, and killed, and rezzed, over and over again by each of the posse, til his player is so fed up with dying he goes off to play WoW on a RP server, because even that has to be better than this. Meanwhile, you've gone and told everyone about my spying activities, and now everyone knows I'm a spy, I get fired from my spy job with the competition, and no one will ever hire me again, because spies aren't any good if everyone knows they're spies. All because this isn't a permadeath game. So much for Harriet the Spy.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote