View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Determining the Origin and Meaning of RPI

In examining the first games which were called RPI, the following similarities were found. This list is based in part off of my own study of the term which began in 2002 as well as discussions on various forums dating back at least as early as 2004.

Now, can anyone add any other distinctive features common to the original RPIs, be it code or policy? What other distinct philosophies or code features were found on Armageddon, Harshlands, and its direct descendants? Were these features base features found in the original unmodified codebase? If so, how were they modified to make them distinct from other games using that codebase?

Please omit opinion from the discussion. This isn’t about what you, I, or anyone thinks is “best” or “superior” (or “worst” or “inferior” for that matter). This isn’t a discussion to throw in what you think or want the term RPI to mean. This isn’t a discussion on the quality of role-play found on a RPI or any other type of MUD. This is an examination of the original RPIs to try and discern as comprehensive as possible a list of features that would have been common to those games at the time in which the term RPI was coined to describe them.

Also, please refrain from personal attacks, character assassination, straw man arguments, videos, threats, or anything else which is not of analytical nature pertaining to the determination of the questions above. I might also go so far as to say that if you don’t have first-hand experience with RPIs you should avoid this discussion but there are numerous members of the community who possess knowledge on the topic and it would be both unfair and unwise to exclude their input and analysis.

Thank you.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote