View Single Post
Old 06-05-2006, 11:18 AM   #12
BrettH

BrettH is on a distinguished road
It isn't a good fit. It may, however, be a plausible alternative. I think both of us mentioning UL said that. However, both of us also have done the quest for the type of game the poster was asking about, and have found a few things about UL that worked out for us. Mainly, that the world is based more closely upon real world historical cultures than any of the other games we were looking at. If you wanted to make a character from a place much like India, that place is in UL. They have places more or less like England, France, etc. Exact historical copies? No. The 'feel' however, is there.

That's right. This is one area that doesn't suit what the guy was looking for, and both of us mentioned that drawback. However, there are no dark skinned white haired elf races that live underground in a matriarchal society, so I don't know what you're talking about in terms of drow.

Unfortunately I haven't found a game based on a medieval feel that doesn't have magic. If I knew of any games like that, I wouldn't have posted about UL at all. UL at least has a somewhat more 'gritty' feel than the other fantasy games I've tried. Sometimes atmosphere is as much as we can hope for. Note: Age of the Throne is not medieval at all, it is based in 1700's France (Three Musketeers era.) I know, I tried it too.

No, what we are doing is indicating that like-minded people have not found the game he is specifically asking for either, but have found some degree of pleasure and satisfaction in UL due to its other real-world facets.

So far, I haven't seen anyone offer him the 'right' game. If you know of one that exactly fits his criteria, please let him, and all of us, know. My post, and I believe the other one about UL as well, were honestly intended to be of some assistance since this fellow will likely walk the same path that we have, and may well end up in the same place for the same reason.

Perhaps Harshlands will serve him better, which has less medieval feel but also less magic. The fellow that posted about Harshlands was also just trying to help, even though his game isn't a good fit either.

You'll note that nobody has posted about UL on any of the other 'looking for a game' threads in a haphazard fashion, even though the thread 'looking for an addictive game' is wide open to subjective interpretation and has had people posting their games in somewhat opportunistic response. There is a reason two people from UL decided to respond here, and it's not coincidence.

At least we are trying to help and offer dialogue to the original poster's situation, rather than to attack other people's posts. Somehow, I don't think your post has helped the man's quest for a game at all.

---Brett
BrettH is offline   Reply With Quote