View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Superstitious Players

You could plant a lot of red herrings or simply put in code to support the biggest superstitions.

Players have a ton of superstition on our game, and some of them are truly outrageous and amazing. There's a rumor flying around that if enough players get on the boat, it sinks, so I've seen players actually trying to kick others off the boat saying it was too full. There's no code to support this. (Sorry for debunking the myth, guys!) It was created, I think, when a boat sank during an RP event, though no one was on board, and people simply saw the world announcement that the boat sank. They applied their own guesses to what happened, and that simply got handed down as myth.

Players will create their own guesses and meanings as long as the game isn't completely linear. Heck, we had a group of players that would do a "gem" dance everytime before they engaged in combat because they swore up and down that it would make a specific type of gem drop.

I think that if you have things that happen out of the ordinary every now and then, players will build their own mythology out of their interpretation of the events.

Care to share some of your mud's superstitions? This is something that's always interested me.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote