View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #48
Sombalance

Sombalance is on a distinguished road
Re: Dealing with RP Attention Hogs

I don't play mushes either - just somewhere in the past I started using pose when I meant any one of several methods of roleplaying (room echos, emotes, emote through npc, say, whispers....) without wanting to specify a specific method.

Your description of an player being an RP hog seems pretty detailed. I don't think I misunderstand. It is simply a matter of not agreeing. I'm not even trying to say what you are describing is wrong. It seems appropriate for the type of game that you prefer to play. It wouldn't be for the type of game I prefer to play.

I think that happens a lot in intense RP environments. Players have an expectation of what they consider appropriate and players with similar expectations tend to get along well while those who behave outside of the norm can be a distraction.

That may be why people who RP on muds have a hard time adapting to mushes and vice versa.

It appears that if I played on your game, I would be the distraction until I adapted to the local game style or went away. If your game clearly defined what the expectations were, then that transition is likely to move along faster than if I had to figure it out on my own. And when I was annoying, you would have a set of guidelines that you could point me to.

Now, I am assuming that the problem player really wants to fit it and may not be aware of their own behavior. If that isn't true, and the player doesn't want to fit in, and is intentionally trying to be disruptive just for the sake of being disruptive, then as an admin, I wouldn't try to treat that as an RP issue. I'd treat it as a hostile OOC act and deal with it at a different level.
Sombalance is offline   Reply With Quote