Thread: Reviews
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2002, 10:25 PM   #5
rhakshai

rhakshai is on a distinguished road
The no review people bug me too...I understand their reasoning to an extent. Especially for big games, one disgruntled person can cause a whole mess of trouble. You boot them from the game, they find other places to whine and moan and slander you.

I also don't put a lot of stock in reviews, though. First, there are the whiners who did something stupid and refused to take their punishment, or the bad sports who didn't like the game and blame it on the admins' refusal to bow to their every whim, or people who don't have to brain cells to knock together. Thre are also the people so in love with the game that they'll say good things about it no matter what.

And ultimately, reviews from 2 or 3 or 5 or 20 random people aren't really going to let you know what a game is like. The only way is to try the game, because no matter how great it is people will have bad things to say about it, and no matter how bad it is people will have good things to say about it, so judging the game based on the comments of people who feel extremely strongly one way or the other isn't really the best idea. If you really want good, honest player opinions, I'd say create a character, then go read the boards and ask around a bit. Experience the game, most of all- most games have at least *some* merit, and you can't really tell how right a game is for you till you try it.

So like I said...it kind of bugs me that I can't review games i feel strongly about, and that I can't go read the gossip about the other games, but frankly that's all it is, mostly. And who am I to bias people against a game I had one bad experience on, when hundreds more play it and have a great time? When I *do* write a review, bad or good, I usually urge players to check the game out for themselves before they take anything I say seriously.
rhakshai is offline   Reply With Quote