View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 01:46 AM   #31
Drealoth

Drealoth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Drealoth
I think the most important part of getting a new player to join a MUD is the newbie tutorial.

I started played Aetolia a few days ago. The credit thing worried me a bit, as well as the number of players - I prefer muds with around 30 - 40 people online usually - but I figured that all of the Iron Realms muds are rated among the top in this site constantly, so I might as well give it a shot.

Created a character, loaded it up and went through the newbie tutorial. I figured it would be the usual 'here is how you train, here is how you attack.' Instead, I was treated to a daring escape from a prison. And it was a blast. It showed off some of the game's features (combat - awesome. The way the game displays room exits - not so awesome) and taught you how to play all while in a dynamic environment, all in the span of under 20 minutes.

There's this rule that I learnt about in a lecture on entrepreneurship. It's called the elevator rule. It goes like this: you might have a great idea, but the only time you have to sell it to a potential investor could be the time that the two of you are stuck in an elevator together. So you have to be able to sell your idea within 60 seconds. Go.

Iron Realms Entertainment lives by this rule. You join the MUD and as soon as you've created your character you are thrown into the action. No time to read blackboards or help files when the prison guards are breathing down your neck. Not only that, but the player has choices that they have to make during it so it's also an involved experience.

There's the secret to success guys.
Drealoth is offline   Reply With Quote