View Single Post
Old 12-28-2007, 03:40 AM   #62
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Reaching out beyond text MUDs

Bah, Logos you lack faith friend. And Aeron, Good Lord, do you even play Text Muds or are you playing WoW all day talking about Guitar Hero while you kill off a Level 25,000 Dragon?

Let me break it down for you all a little more clearly. GUI Muds will Never replace Text Muds and Text Muds will never replace GUI Muds but we are in competition and we can gain our fair share of the market. How you ask? Here are some ways.

Roleplay vs. Hack/slash
1. Textual interaction on a GUI game. Someone claimed GUI games have textualization which equates to roleplay on a Text Mud. Bah, this is not Roleplay, never was and never will be. Some GUI games "claim" roleplay but they will never achieve it anywhere near an RP Text Mud. Frankly, the market doesn't want it as shown in who plays the games. I guaranty you can't find an Gui Mud that is anything comparative to the environment of an RPE Text Mud.

2. Voice chat. HAHAHA, that is worse than running IM while playing a mud and talking about your dinner or the latest movie while your adventuring. Again, will NEVER be roleplay. What are these people going to do, pretend they are talking in Elven? Let's be serious. Voice chat was just introduced as a way to not have to be on the cell phone while gaming.

3. The players that play GUI Muds are not and never will be looking for roleplay on those games. They are not looking for imagination, they are looking for the bells and whistles of the graphics and sound. Text Muds will never compete or draw people looking for such things except as shown below.

---------
Market Base.

Who are we really trying to bring to Text Muds? I don't know about you, but NW doesn't care about the 12 year old that couldn't roleplay out of a 3rd grade play, but can blow the hell out of a Demi Lord with his prototype Uzi Plazma Rifle.

I'm looking for the more mature audience that wants an in depth experience different than Gui Muds. I'm looking for those that seek to immerse into imagination and fantasy.

Who are these people? True gamers, possibly D&D style table top gamers. Readers of Books, imaginative people, those that attend Shakespeare Festivals, but more over it is people that do not want to or cannot install WoW's Huge Prog on their computer which brings us to item number 4.

4. GUI GAMES are rarely if ever playable from a schools, librarys, or work environments. THIS is owned by our domain of Text Muds. Whether you are a hack/slash Text Mud or a Roleplay Enforced Text Mud. Your target market are people on these computers. Go get them. No matter what Gui Muds do, they will never capture this market like we can. And like most who have played Gui Muds and find themselves hooked on Text Muds, they will then bring the Text Mud home and play.

So, all told, concentrate on target group 4. And while we will never come close to holding a market like the GUI games have now, bear in mind, None of them have lasted as long as we have.

GOOD LUCK and SUCCESSFUL HUNTING!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote