View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #72
Juason

Home MUD: Dragonrealms
Juason is on a distinguished road
Re: Join Dragonrealms today!

Dragonrealms combat also understands facing, flanking and rear engagement. So if Jake and an Orc are at melee, facing each other, another Orc could advance and flank Jake. After a 2nd Orc flanks Jake, the 3rd would engaged from the rear. At any time Jake can FACE NEXT to adjust the engagement positions - though everyone remains at melee with regards to each other. Flanking/Rear attacks get a nice bonus, so must be considered when hunting.

Some of the issues resolved with the 3.0 release were:

* One-hit-critical deaths
* The concept of run-and-gunning - entering a room, shooting a ranged attack, and leaving the room before anyone can respond. We have a combat engagement timer that prevents you from immediately leaving.
* People using RETREAT over and over with a ranged weapon to chain a melee enemy. Retreating adds a stacking offensive penalty, to reduce this abuse.

Still up for improving, are ways to keep enemies at pole range so halberd/pike weapons are more viable, and ways for ranged characters to stay disengaged for longer to get more shots in on an enemy before it hits melee. This is currently accomplished with Crowd Control spells and abilities (stun, knockdown, immobilize, unconsciousness, webbed, etc) and judicious use of retreat.

To tie in with combat, the wound system of DR is dang impressive. 15 wound locations, internal/external wounds, fresh wounds and old wounds (scars), bleeding, burns, disease, poison and acid are all supported. Damage types include slice, puncture, impact, fire, cold and electrical.

Well, I could spend all day explaining it... but its just really deep, rather tactical, and I tend to enjoy combat almost as much as I enjoy crafting.
Juason is offline   Reply With Quote