View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road
Re: Veteran Player Placating vs. Asset Utilization

For regular listeners, this is probably a repeat, but I wanted to point out that I try to be extremely open to all player feedback and ideas *when they relate to improving the user experience*. We often implement UX improvements the same day they were suggested.

But when it comes to matters of game evolution and balance, I take everything players have to say with a minecart of salt. Sure, we may tweak things based on their feedback, but frequently not in the way they expect, and only after we get independent confirmation using observations and/or feedback from other players.

I know that these days, when there's a real dearth for players, some admins like to advertise being very flexible and accommodating. I don't. To me, the proverbial game that gives players everything they ask for is doomed to die a quick death. Most players will quit in disgust very soon after they get all they wished for.

The adage "careful what you wish for" rings so true to me in this context that at some point I was seriously considering implementing a god mode as a quick and hassle-free way to get rid of players who habitually whine instead of contributing to the health and growth of the game.
plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote