View Single Post
Old 06-27-2002, 12:01 PM   #7
Pasano

Pasano is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Pasano
The idea of using a sleeper-prison as you described is quite intriguing although I'm not certain where it would fit into the type of game I'm looking to get myself involved in. I prefer the old sword and shield type of games over the more futuristic-oriented muds. Given, the same effect could be created with magic but I become hesitant when it comes to things like modifying stats and adding permanent flaws to characters.

I've never been a fan of perm-death, but the idea is growing on me with regards to age. Yes, if you're killed IC, you can res up and get back at it. However, when your time comes age-wise, you're gone forever. I get annoyed when I see 7,000 year old humans walking around on muds.

Now I love remorts, and when that elf character is pushing 250 years old, and death is near... perhaps he could pull a remort of some type, or perhaps even reincarnation after death. There should be some reward for playing a character out for a lifetime. A reincarnated character would lose all knowledge of his past life, he'd come back with a new name, nobody would know it was him, nor would he himself, but he would just naturally be a bit more skilled/adept at things from his former life.

I've entirely lost my train of thought, forgive me. heh

On the note of Ref-overseen non-auto combat, the system you're describing sounds a lot like a tabletop system, D&D or Vampire:The Masq. where difficulties/modifiers ultimately play as much a part in things as stats and skills. I love that type of system in tabletop, but I think I'm too locked into autocombat to see how it could work on a mud. It's something I'll likely look into.

As for autocombat and macros, I've played muds where it just wont help you much. If command-lag is properly assigned, it becomes more about using your moves/spells/etc strategically, as opposed to quickly. If you have a good gameplan and execute it, you succeed. A lot of the time, that's easier said than done.

It's funny, because the more I think about it, the more I see your point and grow to agree. I'm thinking about a combat system like what you've described as being controlling, good for fights that are 'major events' in a characters lifetime, but the more I think about it, I realize that any life-or-death type fight should be a 'major event' in a character's lifetime. And under such circumstances, players would probably be more likely to acknowledge, realize and respect that. Wow, I've gone 180 in the time it's taken to write post.
Pasano is offline   Reply With Quote