View Single Post
Old 03-21-2005, 11:44 PM   #3
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Games are games, man. I had a meeting with Seamus Blackley (co-creator of the Xbox and now the head games agent at CAA, the largest full-service talent agency) the other day and he had no problem taking what we do seriously. If he can, I'm sure you can too. Don't write off text MUDs just because they don't have graphics and are very niche pursuits. They are no less valid a form of game than Halo 2 or WoW. The latter games are just more popular.

And don't you see that that's the issue? The implicit message behind what they're saying, particularly in Greg's case (who, in a bit I didn't quote, asked the audience how many of them were in games for a paycheck as opposed to making great games), is that they want to make innovative games. That doesn't really jibe with wanting to make games with $25 million budgets. Few of those games are innovative compared to, frankly, a lot of text MUDs or smaller graphical games like A Tale in the Desert or the upcoming single-player Darwinia by Introversion ()

In one breath they complain about how the graphics bar has risen so high that the only way to make graphically competitive games is to tie yourself to investment money (which just wants a return on investment and doesn't really care about the games themselves), but then they turn around and ignore the fact that you don't need a $25 million budget to make interesting games, and you don't need a $25 million budget to make a good living making interesting games.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote