View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 08:44 PM   #32
Lark

Lark is on a distinguished road
All right, on some earlier advice in this thread, I checked out the Dead Souls mudlib, an LP codebase that uses MudOS as its driver.

The only other codebase I've worked with is Lima, so you'll have to bear with what isn't exactly a codebase authority's review.

I liked it very much, it was easy to grasp from starting and you can see it's been designed that way. Nonetheless, it seems fairly flexible, and it's my understanding that LP code is also very pliable in itself (for good or for worse), so it seems that it's very powerful for something so easy to start with.

The Quick Creation System is a godsend for administrators with severely left-brained staff; it eases and quickens the creation of items, NPCs, and rooms so that a number of rooms and objects can be laid down quickly without working the code out by hand in a third-party editor. If it's your thing to do it by hand that's always an option.

Cratylus has labored on this library clearly out of love, and it's been said that people have complained because it's updated too often, rather than too little.

All in all the system seems very forgiving to the virgin admin, and as I've learned through the I3 network connecting Dead Souls muds to another, it's versatile for the old pro as well.

It comes in both Windows and Unix, the former very convenient for, again, the inexperienced would-be admin (can you tell I'm talking from experience?) I definitely recommend it for people who'd like to learn LPC and make a mud at their own pace without signing on to a team with its own deadlines and agenda.

I've never had any crashes or bugs in the few weeks I've worked with it, and Cratylus is striving for his next release as we speak.

Here's the link again:

I'm as good as home with Dead Souls, and I'm sure it'll only get better as time goes on.
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote