Thread: $20 (USD)/Zone
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2003, 06:45 AM   #2
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I think I should point out that this "real project" has no more security than any other "kindergarden mud" - despite the fancy "Mythicscape Entertainment" name, there is no company, nor any commercial backing. It's just another guy working on a mud.

But in particular, you should be warned that the $20 (which would generally work out at around 1 or 2 cents per hour) "may be changed at any time by Mythicscape", and isn't just for the area - but for the entire copyright itself. In other words you give up all rights to your own work. You cannot take your area elsewhere, you cannot later use it in your own mud, you cannot distribute it to other muds, etc.

The agreement on the website is also extremely dubious looking, and I would strongly advice anyone considering the offer to have a lawyer check it over first. From my understanding, it seems to suggest that once you've signed it, Hephos can claim the copyright of anything you have ever produced or will ever produce with his tools, or anything submitted to the mud. If legally valid, that would mean that once you've signed the agreement, he will automatically own the copyright to any further areas you produce (and thus not be required to give any additional payment). You also give up the right to take any sort of legal action should such occur. In addition, the agreement seems to act somewhat like an NDA, which might even be used to prevent you from taking your own ideas elsewhere.

While I'm sure Hephos doesn't have bad intentions, the fact still remains this "offer" is extremely misleading, and personally I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot barge pole. I would very strongly advice anyone considering it to first consult a legal expert, because otherwise you have the potential to be royally screwed.

So in summary: Be careful. I wouldn't want to see someone get ripped off.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote