View Single Post
Old 03-13-2004, 01:19 PM   #6
Gakusei

Gakusei is on a distinguished road
Thankyou very much! I took a quick look and both of those systems look like they could be extremely helpful. I'll take a closer look over the course of the next week or so.

Here's another poser, related to my first question:

Another approach I am considering is writing the server entirely in an interpreted language like perl or ruby. I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to create an instance of a class which has basic functionality, then loading a script into that particular instance. What would be even more helpful is if it would override existing methods.

In more detail:

-> A class 'room' is defined.
-> The class definition contains a method 'DropItem' which defines the default behaviour for dropping an item into that room.
-> An instance of a room is created.
-> A script is loaded into this instance that redefines 'DropItem' for this room and this room only.

I don't know if this is possible, but I had a look through some documentation and perl's 'eval' looks interesting. I should note that I am not concerned about security at this point.

This approach interests me for a few reasons: Less work, regular expressions (which I presume would come in handy in a text enviroment) and learning a new language (I am not familiar with perl/ruby/etc.).
Gakusei is offline   Reply With Quote