View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
Aranoxx

Aranoxx is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

This is a semi-polite rant.

<span style='color:red'>Rant on.</span>

I'm sick of people judging MUDs by the number of players online. SICK of it. Just now, someone logged on my MUD, didn't even get into the game, logged out, and deleted. #1 most probable reason: They used the menu option 'See who's on,' saw a number that didn't meet their idea of what a MUD should have on, and logged off.

I'm not saying people can't choose their own criteria for evaluating a MUD, but if you don't even log on... I mean, come on! How do you know if a MUD is good or not if your sole criteria for figuring that out is 'Are a bunch of people playing it right now?' Talk about a lemming mentality... 'If lots of other people are playing, I'll play. If not, I won't.' What the...?!??! If this is the dominant attitude (and it seems to be based on the behavior patterns of the new players I've seen logging on), exactly how are new MUDs supposed to GET a playerbase in the first place?

My MUD is a quality place. It's intriguing, it's well-written, it's got a fabulous backstory and mythos, nice people... but not a lot of them (yet). Someone tell me what I'm supposed to do? I've been in the MUD-running business for almost a decade now, and I still don't have a clue as to how to get around the synthetic 'bigger = better' mindset.

<span style='color:green'>Rant off.</span>
Aranoxx is offline   Reply With Quote