View Single Post
Old 01-04-2006, 02:59 PM   #20
Kaleisha

Kaleisha is on a distinguished road
I agree with the comments about alts being hard to spot sometimes. We don't allow alts in our mud because it upsets the political balance, it also makes it far too easy for players to gain information. My view is if they wish to find out what is going on in another city in order to use the information to help strengthen their own, they ought to hire a spy, or pay off a corruptable city official in other city... not simply log in an alt and read the boards.

99.9% of alts are dead easy to spot, I can't believe how stupid some players think admin are. And the excuses they give are often an insult to the intellect. We have couples and siblings playing from the same ip they usually contact staff and let them know, and they're watched for a while to make sure they are indeed seperate identities. If someone really wannts to play an alt, and is sucessfully hiding it then they're probably not actually dong anything that can harm the general feel or direction of the world.

Some people can manage to play alts without their main char leavng hidden piles of gold for their newbie to find. Or log in their second, read their news and then announce on city with their first that Evellos is planning war with them. some can play an alt without doing the standard 'hey, it's me, can you hook me up with some uber armor and a new boat' or immediately knowing everyone in their village personally.... to be honest if there are people in our mud playing alts like this, not immediately detectable, I don't mind. As long as the roleplay and balance is not upset.

I can't speak for other mud owners, but to me the main reasoning for not allowing alts is all the cheating that can occur. And it's the cheating that brings attention to an alt. So if you really really want to play an alt in a no multiplaying game, use seperate ips, don't interact in anyway at all with your alt, no matter how tempting it might be to pass along equipment or cash or information. Try to remember which character holds what knowledge. Keep it all seperate and you'll likely never be caught
Kaleisha is offline   Reply With Quote