View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 09:04 AM   #46
TheDisciple

TheDisciple is on a distinguished road
Re: How many muds have permadeath?

A lot of people here have been mudding a long time, in case you hadn't noticed.

I think it's great that you know what kinds of features and design choices tend to make for a game that you enjoy and/or that encourages the kind of play/roleplay that you like. I also think it's damn near the height of arrogance to insist that only roleplay in the style that you prefer is the best roleplay, which is what you're doing. Of course you'll never be proven wrong when you're defining what roleplay means and what kind of roleplay is desirable.

I think we can all agree that none of us wants to roleplay a character sleeping eight hours a day, going to the bathroom every few hours, etc. Ultimate realism isn't a goal any of us are after, because then we'd just play life. Equally, going to the other extreme, no realism at all isn't a goal any of us are after. Where we each draw the line between those two extremes as what strikes the right balance between suspension of disbelief and fun to play is a personal choice. If you want to post and say other people are wrong for preferring something else, you might as well cut to the chase and declare that I'm a jackass because your favorite color is blue and green is obviously superior. To suggest other colors are worthy of consideration would be ignorant.
TheDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote