Thread: DartMud
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2003, 03:40 AM   #4
WarHound

Home MUD: Armageddon.org
WarHound is on a distinguished road
First of all, I never said interacting with npcs/mobs/whatever is the "end-all-be-all of RP". But, InCharacter, why in god's name would everyone be a-okay with this kind of non-stop violence?

So, what you're saying is that it is perfectly acceptable, and InCharacter to run about, hog-wild, killing everything in sight? I could care less if you teach, speak to, ignore completely, or have virtual sex with your NPC's.

The problem I have is everyone rushes about killing these mobs/npc's which from my understanding are there to enrich the world, and provide a 'aid' if you will, to RP and gaming altogether. While that sounds bad at first, bear with me. Mob's add character, and depth to an otherwise empty world, unless your Mud is large enough to have a strictly player run economy, completely free of any sort of automation. These are the shopkeepers, merchants, innkeepers, whores, vagrants, and soldiers of your virtual world.

Then, when characters such as the one Bill played, make an InCharacter objection to what they see as murder and violence of the worst kind, regardless of the inclination of the rest of your playerbase, he's automatically "trying to make the coded world behave in ways the creators never intended".

Will his defense of the NPC be considered 'bad form'? Would it be ignored completely? Or is this whole matter subjective to the whims of the player at the moment? Where does it end?

For some reason, this just won't float with me.

Scene: I'm IN CHARACTER, wandering about and I see you/someone kill a random NPC. I as you why you killed this poor bastard. Just for kicks? Still InCharacter here, I report you and your crimes to the local militia/police/fuzz. Will I be ignored by your Immortals, PC law enforcement?

So, realism is thrown out the window, and the creators of your mud intended this? Or have I gotten your message here completely skewed, and what your saying is that the virtual citizens of your world were put there to be killed, without consequence?

Is Ferdachi a completely lawless world? Is murder and violence that common? Why? How does thier society continue to flourish this way? Or is what you're trying to say is that they aren't really there? That your actions should have no InCharacter consequences?

I could see where this might fly in a 'hack&slash' environment, but when you call yourselves "RP enforced' or 'Mandatory RP' or 'RP Intensive' how is is considered feasible?

I'm trying to understand here, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth about the whole matter.
WarHound is offline   Reply With Quote