View Single Post
Old 09-09-2003, 10:31 AM   #9
Pleos

Pleos is on a distinguished road
Creating a successful MUD is almost entirely dependent on the team of people in charge. If they work well together, have complimentary skill sets and are dedicated to the project (this being probably the toughest one when starting out) it's certainly doable.

One piece of advice I would offer is that you should expect to learn how to code, even the basics, and do so early and work on it long term.

Up until about a month ago, if not less, I had never coded at all, but I am one of 3 people in charge of running a MUD. I was building, doing administration, etc. - there's no shortage of things to do even if you don't code.

I finally decided to take the leap and figure out how to code. I realize, with no formal training, and only being a month in, that it's unlikely I'll ever be an expert, but you don't have to be to make leaps and bounds for your MUD.

I have great teachers, people willing to walk through things with me and help me out (very important), and there's also tutorials online and books you can read.

To date I've coded a few features, including stables, a few commands and generally been able to go in and do some bug fixing and minor tweaking (i.e. even fixing spelling errors, etc. while very minor and easy improves the game).

The whole point of this is that unless you have people working with you on the project, coders that are great and as dedicated as you are, it will often lead to disappointment. They won't do as much as you like, they'll disappear for other projects, they'll become disinterested, etc. It is rare to find someone willing to put in massive time and effort into a MUD that they don't "own".

So it is best to at least learn some basics for yourself, so that if there's a lack of coders around at any time in the process, you can step in and keep making progress. You'll likely never be a master coder, but you'd be surprised what you can accomplish with a good book, some quality teachers and time.

Best of luck.

Pleos
Pleos is offline   Reply With Quote