View Single Post
Old 01-11-2006, 07:04 AM   #57
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
I think you are on to something with the idea of just removing the distinction entirely.

Threshold has been listed here as pay-per-play since either when we created our listing, or when pay-per-play was added as an option: whichever came first (I don't remember if the option has always been there). I am fine with it being there, because I'd rather newbies who come to Threshold *know* there is a cost involved, so they won't have a spaz when they find out "Hey, not everything in life is free. This is BS! YOU SUXOR!"

But these ridiculous arguments that crop up every few months about who is free and who is pay-to-play are asinine. Nobody is ever going to be totally happy with the way their competitors advertise, and if it is going to create these kinds of arguments then it would probably be best if there was no pay-per-play (or not) check option in the listings anyway. Then people wouldn't have anything to gripe about.

If you have the check-box of pay-per-play (or any other set of choices) you will always have people who feel someone else is "gaming the system" by not answering that question in the way THEY think is appropriate. On an issue as contentious as this, the only way to really level the playing field is remove it as an official check-option and then suck it up if someone says they are free in their marketing blurb.

I really don't care what is done: more options, color coded dots, less options, no options related to payment status, etc. I'd just be happy if this issue could die for good.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote